Tuesday 30 April 2013

Curxes: A Dead Good Band



EXCITING!!!

Curxes video for their new single 'Further Still' was released recently and I am so pleased to say I was involved :)


It was a wee while ago Roberta Fidora suggested I put green/blue peacocky awesomeness into her hair and when she asked me one day how to "make me look like a mannequin" I was intrigued beyond intriguement. Well of course! Make-up and looking scary-fake is like, kinda my thang.


I was honoured when she invited me to come along to the shoot and do hair and makeup (excluding Roberta and Macaulay's gruesome post-mortem prosthetics for which credit belongs to Luisa Ricci)

It was a bit of a challenge I have to say, being asked to make someone look like they have: died, been embalmed, then made up to look alive again.

But I had so much fun! It's the first time I've really played with stage/cake makeup to that extent and in my personal opinion they look worryingly hot for a dead bunch! Don't know what that says about me...
 


Below are some attempts at recreating Roberta's looks to show them in more detail but unfortunately I'm an appaling photographer. So bare with me.

The first is of the performance/ Victorian living room scene:




(Hahaha! Told you I was a bad photogrpaher! Looks more like a set of mugshots or one of those "this is what happens to you if you take crystal meth" posters)

For Roberta: I used her own MAC studio fix foundation in NW20. My Lancome long-lasting softening concealer in 02 'Beige Sable', YSL Touche Eclat in number 1. MAC studiofix press powder in NW20, her own Rimmel brow pencil in dark brown, I used an Elizabeth Arden bronzer for blusher on her cheeks called 'Terrarose' and highlighted with MAC mineralize skinfinsh in Rose Quartz. For shadow I mostly used my 120 pallette with a spot of Sugar Cube and Mocha (Estee Lauder) and a Barry M chunky shadown pencil in the crease which to be honest i have sharpened so many times the name and colour is unregonisable (must buy a new one) and a white Barry M kohl in the waterline - I dare you to ask me which one 'cause I'm moving house in a few weeks and stuff I actually need seems to go missing regularly. Liquid liner was her own and her lashes were also her own from MAC. Her lips are Ruby Woo blended into Cyber around the edged, both MAC.

For my recreation: Exactly the same exept I used Estee Lauder double wear foundation in Ecru, YSL eyebrow pencil in dark brown, Estee Lauder Pure Color liner in Punker Black and Eyelure Naturalites lashes number 100. For the lips I instead used YSL Rouge Pur Couture in 201 blended out into Estee Lauder Pure Color in 04 Black Cassis. 


The second recreation is of the (SPOILER ALERT) taxidermy/ museum display scene at the end:















So here for Roberta and Macaulay I used a cake makeup as the base. Now I couldnt tell you the brand but I purchased them at U Need Us fancy dress supplies on Arundel Street. They say 'Water Make Up Pure' and for the base I used one called 'Ageing' (a pale flesh tone with dark pink flecks) and to highlight on the cheeks, nose, chin, neck etc one called 'Corpse' which seemed apt at the time (a bluey grey colour). Eye makeup pretty similar to befor but with fewer plumb tones. I tried to imitate Roberta's 'everyday' look but make it more dramatic and painted. In the hollows of the cheeks, same as before I used a Elizabeth Arden Bronzer but mixed with a slightly rosier tone from the same pallette called, well ' Golden Rose'. For the lips I used a gloss over her Ruby Woo to create a plastic effect and for this I used an Elizabeth Arden gloss which I have managed to misplace in the last hour since taking these photos so I can't tell you the colour but if I ever find it in this hell-hole I will let ya know!

I will sign out with this awesome photo taken at the filming of the final scene. Featuring me reading the Gosport Council minutes from 1935-1936 in the corner. Again don't look if you haven't watched the vid!


Thanks to Rob Luckins of The Red Red (who are responsible for shooting the vid) for this awesome picture and for letting me come and play.

And to Roberta and Macaulay of Curxes (of whom I'msuch a superfan I infiltrated their music video shoot) for inviting me to the party and putting up with my frequent offers to "touch them up later" by which I of course meant with face powder...oh nevermind.

Awesome experiece an I really love the finished product. Well done all!



Don't give up your day dream guys.

Love Lyd

No comments:

Post a Comment